Friday, June 02, 2006

Spell my name right, er...Wight

I have the sort of last name that people are just incapable of spelling correctly. Even when I spell it out for them plainly (W-I-G-H-T), they instinctively write WHITE or WRIGHT or get completely confused and end up with something incomprehensible like WHIHTE. My name, however, is actually a real word...a rather arcane one. It's an Old English word for "person". I think it has a rather nasty connotation and was originally pronounced "weecht". Here it is in Shakespeare's "Othello":

IAGO. She was a wight, if ever such wight were-
DESDEMONA To do what?
IAGO. To suckle fools and chronicle small beer.
DESDEMONA O most lame and impotent conclusion!

In Scandinavian folklore, "wights" were dwarf-like creatures who lived underground. They could make themselves invisible and lived on the milk of teeny cattle. Farmers had to be careful not to spill hot water on the ground, because a scalded and pissed-off wight might wreak havoc on their livestock. Later, Tolkein adopted the word in his stories as the name of the wraiths (the Barrow-wights) who trapped Frodo and company in the barrow-downs.

There are some famous Wights in history: James Herriot is the pen name of the veterinarian-author Alf Wight. My ancestor Lyman Wight was one of the apostles of the early Mormon church. He challenged Brigham Young for control of the church and started a colony in Texas to rival the Mormon colony in Salt Lake. Things didn't go so well in Texas, and that's why there's a BYU and not an LWU. Oh, and of course my name is shared with an island and, more importantly, appears in a Beatles' song ("When I'm Sixty-Four"). I rode my bike around the Isle of Wight once. It didn't really feel like my ancestral homeland, but I had a nice cream tea.

My friend Alex enjoys pointing out that Ellen White was a prophetess and founder of the Church of Seventh Day Adventism. Her writings are considered unquestionable doctrine by millions. Feel free to treat my writings similarly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home