Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Kill all the lawyers

I took the LSAT last week, as I am entertaining thoughts of going to law school. I've been a bit conflicted about it: I have such a negative attitude toward the legal profession that I once tried to represent myself in a lawsuit against my ex-landlord rather than hiring representation. (I thought it would be easy, as I had obtained a copy of the Chicago Tenants Ordinance and considered myself clearly in the right, but I found myself in tears in the downtown courthouse staring in confusion at reams of different-colored forms. This convinced me that justice often has as much to do with who fills out the correct form as with high-minded issues of "rights").

My experience taking the test didn't do much to elevate my opinion of the legal field. As I exited Lake Shore Drive and turned onto Hyde Park Boulevard on my way to the test center, a black SUV starting tailgating me. The driver honked at me (presumedly because I was taking up the WHOLE lane of a one-lane street and not leaving room for an illegal pass), then careened by on the right, passing a queue of cars waiting at a stoplight before pulling the classic "floor it out of the right turn lane and chump the other driver" maneuver. I wasn't surprised when the same SUV found a parking spot next to mine and the driver joined me in walking into the test site.

Clearly there are way too many lawyers in this country, and I'm guessing there are a disturbing number who aggressively drive SUV's. But maybe there is room for a few more who always use their turn signals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home